University Information Technology Services (UITS) is offering a new web-based service which will allow all UConn faculty, staff, and students to share electronic files securely. The service, called Filelocker, may be accessed through a web browser at the address http://filelocker.uconn.edu. The Filelocker page contains help files as well as a “Login” link on the left side of the page. The application must be entered using a UConn NetID and password.
The features of Filelocker include:
- The ability to use a password to encrypt files in order to protect sensitive data
- Uploading electronic files to a secure storage area, storing them there for a fixed amount of time, and accessing them from anywhere with an internet connection
- Sharing files with other UConn faculty, staff, and students
- Automatic email notifications of file sharing requests and file download activity
- The ability to securely share files with individuals who do not have a UConn NetID
- A 2 gigabyte quota per user
The Filelocker implementation is a component of the Information Security Office’s larger effort to protect the University’s most sensitive data. Other efforts include Information Security Awareness video-based training for UConn faculty, staff, and student employees accessible through HuskyCT; a forthcoming overhaul of the current Network Registration (NetReg) system (http://safeconnect.uconn.edu); and an upcoming initiative to search computer hard drives, web sites, and databases for Personally Identifiable Information (PII) in order to remove or protect it.