The University of Connecticut has launched its first official mobile app, letting users quickly find anything from dining hall menus to UConn’s course catalog, interactive maps, and real-time tracking of buses along campus routes.
University Information Technology Services (UITS) developed the app as a result of requests from students and faculty who wanted to access UConn information on their smartphones and mobile devices.
A steering committee involving people from several UConn departments and schools worked for months to determine which services to incorporate into myUConn.
UConn will also be seeking users’ suggestions about other helpful resources they would like included as the app evolves and more features are added.
“The app puts the University at the fingertips of the user, and expands UConn’s reach to a broad base of students and potential students, employees, and visitors to campus,” says Nancy Bull, UConn’s vice provost for information technology.
The features on myUConn include:
- A campus directory where users can browse for emails, phone numbers, and mailing addresses of UConn employees and students. Users can also save recent searches, add people to their contact lists, or do reverse searches using a phone number.
- UConn’s current course catalog, including features that let users search by career and subject, or search for a specific course and its details. Users can also bookmark courses as “favorites” to view later.
- A bus tracking service that uses GPS technology to let users see, in real time, when a bus is approaching a stop. They can search either by bus line or by a particular stop, and can also view all bus routes in full screen or use their device’s touch screen to pinch and zoom for better detail.
- Interactive maps that allow users to easily pick an address or building from the menu and see its location. A locator service also helps users pinpoint their exact location as they’re searching.
- Dining menus for residence halls throughout campus, letting users easily view the selections that will be offered throughout the current week.
- Current UConn athletics news, sports headlines, upcoming events, schedules, and latest scores. Users can also drill down by team and view the latest photo galleries, rosters, and player bios.
- A live stream of WHUS 91.7 FM radio; the Daily Digest; and alerts sent out over the campus emergency alert system.
- Student resources that include phone numbers, links, and descriptions for many helpful services around campus, ranging from tutoring to public safety.