In Hot Topics posts, UConn experts comment on current events and issues unfolding in the news.
- November 24, 2014 The Falling Price of Oil In the lead-up to this week’s OPEC summit, UConn’s Oksan Bayulgen discusses the reasons for the recent plunge in oil prices.
- November 18, 2014 Alzheimer’s Disease – Setting the Record Straight UConn Health geriatric psychiatrist Kristina Zdanys clears up some misconceptions about the most common form of dementia.
- November 13, 2014 Legalizing Medical Marijuana – Is Recreational Use Next? A UConn Health child and adolescent psychiatrist discusses the effects of marijuana on youth and the potential impact of legalizing its use.
- November 10, 2014 Preventing iPosture Pain A UConn Health physical therapist offers tips for preventing the health consequences of spending too much time hunched over your high-tech tool.
- November 3, 2014 Getting Out the Vote The director of UConn’s Nancy A. Humphreys Institute for Political Social Work discusses the importance of making voting a habit instead of a chore.
- October 30, 2014 Immune Response Key to Beating Ebola Is medicine on the verge of getting the upper hand against the Ebola virus? An infectious diseases physician at UConn Health discusses the potential for therapy and vaccines.
- October 15, 2014 Flu Shots: One Size Does Not Fit All The vaccine’s effectiveness depends on who takes which kind, and when, as immunology professor Laura Haynes explains.
- October 9, 2014 Should the U.S. Intervene Against ISIS? Jeremy Pressman, director of Middle East studies, discusses the politics of military intervention against Islamic State militants.
- October 6, 2014 Love, Marriage, and the Vatican As the world’s Catholic bishops convene in Rome, the Roper Center reviews the public’s changing attitudes toward marriage and the church over time.
- October 1, 2014 Could an Ebola Epidemic Happen Here? A discussion with Dr. Kevin Dieckhaus, an infectious disease specialist at UConn Health who also has volunteered as a physician in East Africa.
- September 29, 2014 Smoking Out the Facts in the E-cigarette Debate UConn Health psychologist Mark Litt discusses the pros and cons of e-cigs.