In Hot Topics posts, UConn experts comment on current events and issues unfolding in the news.
- July 2, 2013 Same-Sex Marriage: Critiques, Trends, and Victories Sociology professor Mary Bernstein discusses the implications of recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings for the LGBT and marriage-equality movements.
- June 27, 2013 Constitutional Law Expert Reflects on Momentous Week for Supreme Court Political science professor David Yalof says the court delivered major victories to same-sex marriage supporters, while vastly changing a landmark voting rights law.
- March 14, 2012 Rare Earth Metals Not the Only Answer, Says UConn Chemist Nicholas Leadbeater discusses alternatives to obtaining rare earth metals, used in high-tech gadgets and hybrid cars, from China.
- February 6, 2012 Arab Spring Revisited A year after Tunisians turned out a dictator and Egypt’s ruler was ousted, Middle East expert Jeremy Pressman analyzes the Arab uprisings.
- January 13, 2012 Troubled Waters for the World’s Oil Supply Political scientist Oksan Bayulgen says that although Iran has never before completely blocked the Strait of Hormuz even in times of conflict, this time could be different.
- December 22, 2011 Fracking – Good News or Bad for America’s Energy Needs? Hydrogeologist Gary Robbins argues for a middle ground on the contentious issue of fracking.
- December 20, 2011 Do Mandated Reporting Laws Need to Change? In light of recent high-profile cases of allege sexual abuse of young children, psychology professor Seth Kalichman discusses the effectiveness of mandated reporting laws.
- December 19, 2011 Uncertainty About the Future Follows North Korean Leader’s Death History professor Alexis Dudden, a specialist in the history of Korea and the surrounding region, discusses the unfolding situation.
- December 1, 2011 AIDS in 2011: More Manageable, Still Significant On a day intended to raise AIDS awareness, Dr. Lisa Chirch, infectious disease physician, explains advances in treatment and management and warns against complacency.
- November 28, 2011 The Eurozone Crisis and the American Economy Economist Olivier Morand explains how European nations’ indebtedness may affect businesses in America.
- November 21, 2011 UConn Poultry Expert Talks Turkey The modern day turkey that graces our holiday tables is a different bird from its wild ancestors.