Seven University of Connecticut professors have been named to a list of the world’s most highly-cited researchers.
The 2019 Highly Cited Researchers list, released recently by the Web of Science Group, identifies scientists and social scientists who produced multiple papers ranking in the top one percent by citations for their field and year of publication, demonstrating significant research influence among their peers.
The UConn faculty on the list are:
- Daniel Bolnick, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and member of the Institute for System Genomics
- Lucy Gilson, associate dean of faculty and outreach in the School of Business, professor of management, and Director of the Geno Auriemma Leadership Conference
- Yangchao Luo, assistant professor in the department of nutritional sciences in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources
- John Mathieu, Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor and the Friar Chair of Leadership and Teamwork Management in the School of Business
- Vijay Rathinam, assistant professor of immunology and director of the graduate program of immunology at UConn Health
- Yijun Ruan, The Florine Deschenes Roux Chair and Director of Genome Sciences for the Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine at UConn Health
- Mark Urban, professor in ecology and evolutionary biology in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Director of the Center of Biological Risk
Mathieu was named to the list for the second year in a row.
The methodology that determines the listings draws on the data and analysis performed by the Institute for Scientific Information at the Web of Science Group.
The data is taken from 21 broad research fields within Essential Science Indicators. The fields are defined by sets of journals and exceptionally, in the case of multidisciplinary journals such as Nature and Science, by a paper-by-paper assignment to a field based on an analysis of the cited references in the papers. This percentile-based selection method removes the citation advantage of older papers relative to recently published ones, since papers are weighed against others in the same annual cohort.
The full 2019 Highly Cited Researchers list and executive summary can be found here, and the methodology can be found here.
Web of Science Group, a Clarivate Analytics company, organizes the world’s research information to enable academia, corporations, publishers and governments to accelerate the pace of research. It is powered by Web of Science, the world’s largest publisher-neutral citation index and research intelligence platform.